Saturday, June 30, 2007

Promethea tattoo lovin'




When I decided to get a tattoo, of course my first one was going to give a shout out to one of Alan Moore's great creations. Also since one of my favorite artists is J.H. Williams III, there was no doubt that my first tattoo would be Promethea. Promethea basically was Alan Moore's exhamination of magic as a way of looking at the world and the character herself is a kind of personification of the imagination. Artist J.H. Williams III always challenged himself and readers of this great book with his beautiful art and imaginative layouts.

I got my Promethea tattoo June 4, 2006 at Pussykat Tattoo Parlor here in Las Vegas, by fantastic artist Dirk Vermin, who also has fronted a long time Vegas punk band, the Vermins. The tattoo took three and a half hours and hurt a lot as any tattoo does in which there's not a lot of skin covering the bone underneath. Dirk (the artist), told me that depending on how well I sat would determine whether he did the tattoo in one or two sessions so I told myself I'd sit really well as I wanted the instant gratification of seeing the completed tattoo and I didn't want to go back for another session (until I get my next tattoo !) Kate went along with me and I closed my eyes almost the entire time telling myself that the pain shall pass and "no pain, no gain"! I couldn't be happier with my Promethea tat.

The first photo here is of course a close up of the tat. The second photo was taken at the 2006 San Diego convention and the guy that doesn't have the orange hair is Promethea artist J.H. (actually calling him Jim is also fine) Williams III. The third photo was taken at a San Diego beach and the big guy on the left is my friend Harry (who introduced me to Dirk, my tattoo artist) and the guy on the right is another friend, Scott - good people all around!

Anyone reading this have a comic related tattoo? Or if you were to get one what would it be of?

3 comments:

Todd C. Murry said...

I suspect Vermin is not your tattoo artists given name. Just a hunch.

Good luck with the blog! I'm really glad to see you writing! I'm using too many exclamation points!

Ralph Mathieu said...

Todd, actually it's not widely known, but Dirk Vermin's real name is Tod Muray. That doesn't make for a good tattoo artist's name so you can see why he changed it (sorry for the bad early Tuesday afternoon attempt at humor)!

Camila said...

hey, that is the same place joaquin got his latest tattoo.

Cristina said that vermin guy is the owner.

no I dont have any tattoos. Maybe I will get one of hanson, all the fans have tattoos. Maybe a pi tattoo. I probably will never get one.