Sunday, May 2, 2010

FCBD version 2010 - a smashing success!

The ninth annual Free Comic Book Day came around yesterday and at Alternate Reality Comics, it looked like a fun time was had by everyone that came to get this years offerings!

This first photo is of Aziz, one of the many discriminating readers who shop at my store, with a little Iron Lad upon his shoulders (I think the lad is Aziz's nephew) - cute!
Some of the people that were part of the first wave as the doors opened. This year I reconfigured my store to better display the Free Comic Book Day selections and that worked out much better than the set up I've had in previous years that created a bottleneck at the front door.
Hitwoman and a Jedi Master (Kate and Christie) were my muscle for the day, greeting and directing people to the Free Comic Book Day selections. Thanks also to my friend Rob Perez for all the prep work he helped me with, for overseeing the sidewalk back issue sale I had, and for helping me put the store back together after all of the excitement, and to Jim McKenzie, who took care of checking people out at the register during the early half of the day. Things definitely wouldn't have run as smoothly as they did without the above mentioned assistance (and friendships)!
More eager Free Comic Book Day arrivals!











These two young girls couldn't even wait until they got home to read their selections - almost brings a tear to my eyes (grin)!

Every previous year of Free Comic Book Day has made the first Saturday in May one of the very busiest days of the year at Alternate Reality Comics, and this year was no exception. Actually in previous years, the busiest part of the day happened during the first four hours, with people continuing to come in the remaining four hours, albeit not in such big spurts as the first half of the day crowd. Yesterday, the first half of the day was still the busiest part of the day, but there was more of a continuous flow of people coming in the entire day versus previous years.

Thanks to Joe Field (the creator) of Free Comic Book Day, to Diamond Comics, to the publishers, to the creators, and all of the people who came to Alternate Reality Comics, for making this the fun event it is! I hope everyone discovers some new favorite comics out of this year's selections!

No comments: