Saturday, January 29, 2011

King of The Flies V.2

Last week, from Fantagraphic Books, the second volume of King Of The Flies was released and it's every bit as great as the first volume (released here in the U.S. last year) was.










King Of The Flies, by Mezzo and Pirus, is one of those graphic novels that is hard to describe, instead I find it's best to describe what it's like. As I mentioned in my Ich Liebe Comics! entry last year about volume one, King Of The Flies is like the creepiness and art of Charles Burns (Black Hole), crossed with Alan Moore's prose and insights into people and the world around us. While I was reading King Of Flies V. 2, I also think it reads like a really good, dark work of crime fiction, with David Lynch (such as Blue Velvet, one of my very favorite movies) aspects to the characters and story. So if you like any of these aforementioned creators works, I think you'll really like King Of The Flies. As with volume 1, volume 2 is part of a bigger story (and I don't know how many total volumes there are), but each volume reads like a complete story in its own way.

No comments: