Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Takio; Bendis & Oeming

Last week, the creative team of Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Oeming (Powers) released a new all ages hardcover graphic novel called Takio. Takio is co-written by Bendis' daughter, Olivia, which is fitting as its central characters are two sisters who get super powers in an explosion at their friends house (their friends father is a failed inventor).

I was a little apprehensive about reading Takio because I'd read some snippets of reviews that it was a little too cutesy and that it is really just targeted for young girl readers. Well I thought it had just the right amount of cute and although young girls will get the most enjoyment from Takio, I think that Takio will appeal to a good cross audience as long as you like exciting stories, good characters, and the great dialogue that Brian Michael Bendis is known for. My only criticism of Takio is its title, which is the name that the girls decide to calls their superhero selves (it's a combination of both of their names) as I don't think it rings as a good title or superhero name (if I found out that Bendis' daughter, Olivia, thought up the title, then I would retract my "problem" with the title).

No comments: