Sunday, July 24, 2011

Captain America movie; one of the best superhero movies ever!

No spoilers following, just excited impressions after seeing the new Captain America movie this afternoon:

Of all of the summer superhero movies, the one I've been most looking forward to has been Captain America (even though I wanted the Green Lantern movie to do the best in the box office so that DC could go up against Marvel's blockbusters - at least DC does better in the animation department). I loved that the filmmakers set Captain America during World War I because that's pretty important to the characters back story and if done right is a period that should easily have made for a good different kind of superhero movie. After seeing a couple of trailers, I was thinking that they'd have to mess up pretty bad to not live up to those trailers. I'm happy to report that the Captain America movie exceeded my expectations and is easily in my top five of all time superhero movies, if not number one (yes, I think it may be even better than the Christopher Nolan Batman movies).

This Captain America movie has everything, a great story, great characters, great casting, great effects / adventure, and great music. The pacing on the Captain America movie is great, as is the drama and suspense, no character does anything really stupid, there's not any crazy suspension of belief going on, and there are good amounts of humor and eye candy special effects and performances that will surely click with a good cross section of people. I actually wish there was going to be another Captain America movie before the Avengers movie is released next summer to better explore what happens at the end of this movie, but the Avengers movie looks like it'll be fun (it better be, they've teased us that this was upcoming for YEARS). Seriously, this isn't just a perfect superhero movie, it's pretty much a perfect movie.

No comments: