Thursday, July 14, 2011

Red Wing: Hickman & Pitarra

Red Wing is a new creator owned comic published by Image, written by Jonathan Hickman (Fantastic Four, SHIELD, Pax Romana) and drawn by Nick Pitarra. Red Wing is about fighting a war across the time stream and anyone who knows me, knows that I usually get a headache when I hear that a story involves time travel. Well because Jonathan Hickman is such a smart writer, the fact that time travel is going on in Red Wing doesn't impare my enjoyment of this book at all. The only "negative" thing I can say about Red Wing is that it's only a four issue mini series, which seems too short for a story of this scope, but I like to think this will get such great word of mouth that it will sell fantastically and there'll be more stories to follow.

Anyone who has read anything by Jonathan Hickman already knows that he's a great thinking outside of the box writer, but I was unsure about the artist for Red Wing as I hadn't seen any of his work until I read this first issue. Well I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone looking at the interior page here, from Red Wing #1, that Nick Pitarra's art will have people talking and companies trying to employ him. So yes, Red Wing #1 is my top pick of the week and that's saying a lot because there was a lot of great comics that came out this week!

No comments: