Monday, October 27, 2014

Mark your calendars NOW for February 2015, that's the release date for Scott MCloud's FANTASTIC The Sculptor!!

This past Tuesday, I won the lottery by getting an advance copy of Scott McCloud's new graphic novel, The Sculptor, in the mail from publisher, First Second (thanks Gina Gagliano!)! It took everything within me to not drop everything I was doing an read this immediately. But as The Sculptor is 500 pages long and one of my most anticipated upcoming graphic novels (it doesn't come out until February!), I wanted to really savor it and give it the attention I'm sure it deserved. So yesterday afternoon I finally had a good block of time to devote to reading The Sculptor and I'm going to put on TWELVE hype hats and tell everyone who loves sequential art that The Sculptor gets my ABSOLUTE highest recommendations!! Scott McCloud is most known for his excellent Understanding Comics and his much beloved Zot!, and he's been working on The Sculptor for years. The Sculptor is about a struggling sculptor who is trying to get his breakthrough. Scott McCloud has poured all of his considerable artistic chops into The Sculptor, hell even if the story wasn't as fantastic as it is, it would be worth picking up just on the strength of the art on display. But the narrative and characters in The Sculptor are so perfectly developed, with intrigue, humor, and action of the highest order. The Sculptor also has great musings on love and death, time, friendship, and the meaning of art. Seriously, the only negative thing I have to say about The Sculptor is that it's not on sale until February so I have to wait until then to share this FANTASTIC , PERFECT graphic novel with you all! Alternate Reality Comics will have a HUGE PARTY in early February to celebrate the release of The Sculptor! Thank you, Scott McCloud for creating such a marvelous book!

No comments: