Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Token

At the Diamond retailer summit last week, DC had advance copies of the new Minx title, Token, written by Alisa Kwitney and illustrated by Joelle Jones. I don't have anything insightful to say about Token, I just wanted to post an entry to give this book a shout out to readers who like good solid coming of age stories, with good characters and good art. Token arrives to finer comic book stores Novemeber 5th.






If I was going to nitpick about any story element within Token, I did have a problem with Shira, the central character, starting to shoplift as a way of having some "control" in her life. I realize that people shoplift, but it seemed to me that this aspect of Shira's character was just introduced to be a character nuance without really going into what the act of shoplifting does to a person and society (I'm sure that wasn't the point of the book, but at the same time the big intended audience for the Minx tiltes is young girls and they might get the idea after reading Token that shoplifting is no big deal).

No comments: