Thursday, January 8, 2009

even Spidey has to go












Is this the greatest piece of merchandising ever or what!? Yesterday, Cooper, a customer and friend, gifted me with this, which he said he'd gotten at some Japanese store. I was busy yesterday with it being new comics day so I only thanked him profusely for this great addition to my store, but I was unable to ask him more about the store from which he'd gotten this before he had to leave.

Seriously, how did this get licensed from Marvel!? Actually nowhere on the packaging is there any copyright stating that this is a Marvel character, even though they also use an illustrated image of Spider-Man. On the packaging, in English, this is called a "Toilet Shaking Toys", even though it's a head bobber. So as if it's not odd enough to have a toy of Spidey on the loo (except maybe it could be used to potty train small kids), this "toy" also bobs its head back and forth (it's solar or light powered so as long as the lights are on his head rocks back and forth)! Maybe Spidey has some kind of OCD!? Anyway, it's now taking the place of this other head bobber that I had next to my MOBY POS computer / register on the front counter and it has already amused several people (small children love to try to make a head bobber's head go faster)! I've just been telling people that the book he's reading is whatever my pick of the week's arrivals is (which this week is SGT. Rock #3).

Wow, I actually had a blog entry this year that didn't mention Alan Moore! Doh! Actually how cool would it be if Alan Moore wrote a Spider-Man comic - I think the only thing cooler would be if Moore wrote a Dr. Strange comic!

2 comments:

RJ said...

Hey, check me out--I finally signed up! (Not that I'll probably use it...)

I like that superheroes have to potty too. Do you think bobbing helps him go (that was a mental picture I maybe didn't need to give myself)? Maybe it IS OCD.

Unknown said...

Amazing! Where does he get his wonderful toys, eh, eh?