Saturday, May 15, 2010

Silverfin: Young Bond

Silverfin is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel of the same title with art by Kev Walker and written by Charlie Higson (who also wrote the novel). Silverfin is about young James Bond (yes, THAT James Bond) when he first started adventureteering.

I'd never really been into the James Bond character (I think I've only watched one or two of the movies) and I wasn't familiar with the creative team of this graphic novel so when the Silverfin graphic novel came out originally in 2008, it completely fell under my radar. Fortunately, one of the wonderful patrons of my store ordered a copy from a recent Diamond Previews catalog and when it arrived this week, I took one look at the art by Kev Walker and knew that I had to read this. I'm really glad I did, because this was a totally fantastic adventure / mystery story, that wasn't reliant on me being a James Bond aficionado (but those that are will probably get even more out of this graphic novel). Silverfin is published by Disney / Hyperion Books, so yes, it is an all ages graphic novel, but like Jeff Smith's Bone, it plays to audiences of all ages without being cute or simple.
I've seen some of Kev (or Kevin as he's sometimes credited) in some superhero comics, but none of his art that I've seen previously prepared me for the quality of art that Silverfin has. I'm going to guess this is because, in Silverfin, Kev Walker pencils and inks himself as well as does the coloring. In Kev Walker's art that is on display in Silverfin, I see elements of artists Mike Mignola (Hellboy), Jason Lutes (Jar of Fools, Berlin), and Eric Shanower (Age of Bronze), and I can't think of higher praise to lavish upon Kev Walker. Just click on the interior page above as Kev Walker's art certainly speaks for itself.

Silverfin is 150 pages in length, in full DYNAMIC color, for only $9.99, so if that's not the deal of the day, well I don't know what is. Alternate Reality Comics will make sure to keep Silverfin in stock and is hoping Charlie Higson & Kev Walker do more Young Bond adventures (and or collaborate on another project)!

No comments: