Monday, September 12, 2011

Kiss & Tell; MariNaomi

This past week saw the arrival of a new graphic novel published by Harper Perennial called Kiss & Tell, written and drawn by MariNaomi. Basically Kiss & Tell is exactly what the title says it is, additionally explained by the subtitle, A Romantic Resume Ages 0 to 22, about the cartoonist and her early adventures into sexual discovery.
The art in Kiss & Tell, by MariNaomi, isn't Daniel Clowes or Adrian Tomine good, but it's got a unique flavor of its own and perfectly illustrates MariNaomi's sexual awakenings / encounters. I enjoyed Kiss & Tell on a voyeuristic level (and jealous that my youth wasn't as colored with similar sexual adventures - I know, TOO much information and I'm sure that I'm romanticizing her experiences in the grass is always greener on the other side perspective), but I wish there was a little more self insight other than what almost amounts to a listing of encounters she had during this period of her life, but this is MariNaomi's story and not mine, so of course she can tell / not tell the things she wants to. And although it may sound like I am lukewarm on Kiss & Tell, it's actually a really solid 330 page autobiographic graphic novel for people who like this genre.

No comments: