Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Yoko Ishida stops by my store!

So I'm having a Tuesday afternoon here at my store when much to my surprise, Yoko Ishida comes in (with some other people)! Yoko Ishida is a huge J Pop (pop / rock singer) sensation from Japan and she was in town for AnimeVegas this weekend. She gave an afternoon performance Sunday afternoon at AnimeVegas, but I didn't make her show as I was working my booth. I heard it was a packed show with every attendee getting a program book with lyrics so that they could sing along (which they did). Two of the biggest animes that Yoko Ishida performed themes for are: Ah! My Goddess and Ai Yori Aoshi.

A staff member from AnimeVegas was showing Yoko Ishida around town and they were somewhere on Maryland Parkway when he had the brilliant idea of taking her to my store! Yoko Ishida and her friends were checking out my store and I saw her looking at some manga (specifically Oh My Goddess) so I dashed in my backroom where my cd's are and frantically looked for the cd I had of hers (and my Ah! My Goddess movie soundtrack). She looked delighted that I had cd's by her, well I was delighted that I found them and that she graciously signed her "Sweets" cd for me! Pictured above is Yoko Ishida (of course!) and myself in front of my store. She was especially pleased to see that part of my window (the bottom portion) features characters from Oh My Goddess and she also had her friend take pictures of her in front of the images.

As if that wasn't enough excitement for the day, I got to talk to a guy from England about the genius that is Alan Moore (and he bought Eddie Cambell's excellent Fate of the Artist and Ellis' Hellblazer Haunted trade on my recommendations) and my friends Todd and Brandy called all the way from China where they're picking up their daughter Meridith! And I also sold a lot of good comics to some regulars that stopped by! I think this may be the most international day at my store, with Yoko Ishida stopping by from Japan, my friends calling from China, and visiting with a customer from England!

1 comment:

Todd C. Murry said...

Hey, another shout out from China! I'm sorry I missed anime Vegas this year... I basically promised myself I would go this year not knowing it would conflict with adopting my daughter! I appreciate the mention, and please catch up with our adoption travel blog (other readers are welcome to join the journey at nevadaclan.blogspot.com). We're in Honk Knog now, and will be here a couple of days till Sunday when we go to Gungzhaou to actually get Merideth on Monday. Wish me luck.