Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Zombie's Calling!

One of the best comics (graphic novel, really) that I read this past Sunday was Zombie's Calling by Faith Erin Hick's and published by Slave Labor Graphics. Just when you thought everything had already been done on the zombie front along comes Zombie's Calling! Zombie's Calling actually came out November 14th and being as that was a huge release week (with a little book called Black Dossier arriving in addition to thousands of other titles), I only got a chance to quickly flip through the book. Before I knew it, I'd sold out of it before I got a chance to read it and it wasn't until about a week later when I read Rachelle Goguen's rave review of the book in her excellent blog Living Between Wednesdays (this blog was recommended to me by my friend Nicole, who attends Shippingsburg University in PA), that Zombie's Calling made it back on my radar.
As Rachelle mentioned on her blog, Zombie's Calling will definitely play well with people who enjoy Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim. Faith Erin Hicks, the creator of Zombie's Calling, like Scott O'Malley, is also from Canada, and Zombie's Calling is in the same manga sized format as Scott Pilgrim and is just as kinetic, funny, and entertaining, with great characterizations, but isn't derivative.

The central character in Zombie's Calling is Joss, who starts off as just a fan of zombie movies, but quickly becomes a take charge character because she knows "the rules". Zombie's Calling gets started right away and while this is a complete story, I hope that Hicks has a follow up planned. I'm sure that Zombie's Calling will do well as soon as the rabid Scott Pilgrim and zombie fans hear about the buzz on this book! Visit www.faitherinhicks.com/zombies/ for updates from this exciting new cartoonist.

No comments: