Thursday, November 11, 2010

Two Generals; Scott Chantler

I just finished reading what I think may be my favorite original graphic novel of this year (it's certainly in my top five of 2010) - Two Generals, by Scott Chantler. The first thing one notices about Two Generals is that it is a very handsome production as the two images of the book I have here show (these images are from Scott Chatler's excellent research blog: http://www.two-generals.com/. I was really hoping that Two Generals wouldn't just be a pretty shell, with not much in the way of substance. We are fortuante that cartoonist Scott Chantler wrote and drew such a powerful graphic novel account of his grandfather, Law Chantler, and Law Chantler's friend, Jack Chrysler and their World War II experiences.

Law Chantler and Jack Chrysler were officers in the Highland Light Infantry of Canada, an infantry unit that played a BIG part in the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944. I'm just writing this Ich Liebe Comics! entry to make more people aware of this great graphic novel, and I'm not going to go into why this is great, because as I've mentioned before when writing about great works in this medium, a reader should just go into a great work (of whatever medium) with as little knowledge of the contents as possible and discover them for themselves. I will say though, that before reading Two Generals, I didn't previously know that bicycles were used during WWII missions!

No comments: