Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Kinky Boots

This morning I watched one of the best "feel good" movies that I've seen in some time. Said movie is Kinky Boots (thanks for the recommendation Todd Huish!) from 2005. The cover of the Kinky Boots dvd states: "If you liked The Full Monty and Calender Girls, you'll love Kinky Boots", well I've seen The Full Monty and I can say that Kinky Boots is similar in some ways without being dervivative.

Kinky Boots is inspired by a true story and takes place in Northhampton, England (the very same haunting grounds of uber comic scribe Alan Moore (I wonder if he's seen this film - I think he'd like it). It can be said that Kinky Boots goes down some predictable paths, but really the story and characters are so enjoyable that you'll just go where the story takes you and be happy for having done so by the time it's over. If you watch this, I'd recommend not reading the back of the dvd case because it gives too much away - I'm just going to say that Kinky Boots is about a shoemaker who has to reinvent his business because of hard times. Rent, buy, or Netflix Kinky Boots, I'll give it the money back guarantee!

No comments: