Saturday, May 2, 2009

People love free comics...

...well people who love the combination of words and pictures that takes their imaginations to new places and can also enlighten them as comics can tell any kind of story.

Free Comic Book Day was another resounding success here at Alternate Reality Comics. I haven't gone over all of my numbers yet and made comparisons to previous years, but early signs point to FCBD 2009 being my most successful to date. I know just looking at my sales transactions that I had more people buying books than previous years (all of which were strong in their own right) and that number doesn't include people who just came to pick up the free comics (of which there are many people who just do that and that's okay of course and I think this years' selection has a great chance for some of those people coming back for similar entertainment).

I'd like to thank everyone who showed up at my store for Free Comic Book Day 2009, my friends and helpers, Rob and Paul, and Kate (my wonderful wife who always has fun dressing up, today she came as her version of Delirium), and her (our) friend, Christie (also in the photo above dressed sharply as a Star Trek crew member) - FCBD at my store wouldn't have been possible at my store without their enormous help and entertaining of the masses.
I'd also like to send huge thanks out to the wonderful talented comic book creators who made the Free Comic Book Day comics this year such a great selection, Joe Field, the man who initiated this glorious day (also owner of Flying Colors in Concord, California), and Diamond Comics (distributor for all comic book stores everywhere) for all the behind the scenes work they do to get all of these books to our stores. For me, Free Comic Book Day is the official start of summer and I think summer 2009, in respect to the comic book portion of the world, is off to a great start.

Ich liebe comics!

3 comments:

Andrea Walter said...

free comic book day is awesome :)

Ralph Mathieu said...

I'm glad you were able to make it - hope you got caught up on your sleep!

Red She Said said...

So glad to hear it was a success!