Saturday, August 9, 2008

Julieta Venegas live!

Last night I saw Julieta Venegas with my new friend, Theresa (my Sunday store guy, Paul's girlfriend) at the Joint (not my favorite venue, but it was fine last night) and she was fantastic. I first started listening to Julieta Venegas a couple of years ago when I bought Limon Y Sal at Zia's just because I was looking for something different to listen to (and because I was attracted to the cd cover image of her - I'm shallow that way!). I liked it and got a couple of her other cds, not realizing that she was huge in Latin parts of the world. At first it looked like maybe this large fan base she has wouldn't show up at the Joint, but after the opening artist, Ceci Bastida (who was also good), left the stage, the place filled up in a hurry. As with most live shows which are largely general admission, it would have been nice to have had some more space between people, but once Julieta Venegas started singing, the place just came alive and it looked like a good time was had by all (although I wouldn't have allowed cameras to take pictures during the show as some people just held their cameras up the WHOLE show). Counting Julieta Venegas, there was fifteen musicians on stage, with a variety of instruments that gave the show a nice eclectic mix and even though I didn't understand a word she was singing or saying (I'm sure she was singing about me though), I'm here to recommend listening to Julieta Venegas (and or seeing her live) without any reservations.

I've never posted a Youtube video here, so I don't know if the link I copied will contain a video image of Julieta Venegas, but if not you should be able to click on the following address and see one of her big songs (and the video features beastiality, kinda!), Limon Y Sal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhy3CITqIY

2 comments:

Camila said...

That is pretty cool you went to Spanish concert, I would be scared going to a foreign language concert.

I never heard of Ceci Bastida, I youtubed her, she sounds good. She has a bit of the some style as Julieta. :D

Ralph Mathieu said...

Next time she comes to town, you have to come with me Camila!