Sunday, April 19, 2009

baseball?

Saturday night I went to my first ever live baseball game with my friends Rob and Drea. I've never liked baseball as I think it takes too long with not much really happening (from my perspective), but I do like baseball movies like Field of Dreams and Bull Duram and great anime baseball like Princess Nine, which is about a female baseball team. So the idea of actually going to a live baseball game never really would cross my mind as an entertaining way to spend an evening. I was looking for something different to do this weekend though especially after the yawnfest that was the Xanadu sci-fi con, so off to Cashman Field I went.

Surprisingly I wasn't bored at all from being at a baseball game, and with the game going on in the back (fore) ground, it was a good evening visiting with friends. I was also happy that they had beer that wasn't just Bud, Coors, or Miller (I had a Heifenweiser), but the pretzel I had must have been from last year (Drea said hers was one of the worst she'd ever eaten also) - fortunately the peanuts washed that taste away. If I had to pay a lot of attention to the game as my means of entertainment, well I'm pretty sure that would have been my first and last live game that I watched, but I now can say that one of the big appeals of going to a baseball game is the social aspects. I'd recommend going with at least a couple of friends as a fairly inexpensive (I'm sure "real" baseball cities like Chicago or San Diego can't say that) thing to do, but I'd say you'd want to go before the temps hit 90 and above.

1 comment:

Andrea Walter said...

I felt the same way about going to live baseball games! Then Jordan took me to one a couple months ago and I was surprised at how much fun I had.