Friday, April 3, 2009

Flash: Rebirth

This week saw the debut of Flash: Rebirth, a five issue mini-series by Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver, that returns Barry Allen as the main Flash in the DC universe. The Flash comic book has been really lame these past few years as different creative teams tried to re-invent the character post Infinite Crisis. I guess if I had to pick a favorite super hero character it would be the Flash as it was the first super hero title I followed regularly and I like the concept of being faster than anyone else so it's good to have a creative team of Johns and Sciver's caliber to put this title back on top of the must read super hero pile.

My initial thought upon hearing that Barry Allen (who was "dead") would be back as the Flash was to roll my eyes and remark that no one stays dead in comics so it then makes any future comic character's deaths have less impact because you know that they'll all be back. Then I remembered that writer Geoff Johns made the return of Hal Jordon (who was also "dead") as Green Lantern work, so I was pretty confident that he'd make the return of Barry Allen work and having read the first issue he's off to a very strong start. I've also come more to terms with every comic character that "died" coming back to life because even though it does diminish when a character in superhero comics dies as you know they'll be back somehow at some point, I now look forward to how a good writer such as Johns will make that characters' return work without destroying what has been written about the character before. For anyone who's not familiar with Ethan Van Sciver's art, he's perfect for this title (probably perfect for almost any DC super hero comic) and he definitely packs a lot on a page all of which is very finely rendered.

No comments: