Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Starbucks week 8

Still moving at a pretty good clip is the construction of the new Starbucks that is kind of in front of my store, except thankfully not directly in front. As one can see from these two photos they now have the framework up and while I'm still surprised it's not bigger, the height of the building is higher than I thought it would be making me wonder if it'll be a two story Starbucks.
In another odd development, Yoshinoya, the Japanese restaurant over by my store (which used to be a Pizza Hut) closed unexpectedly about a month ago. While I wasn't impressed with the place, it looked to me like they were doing good business and no one is talking about why they closed. I've heard that a Mexican restaurant may be taking over that spot, but I've got no confirmation of that yet. I think a Mexican restaurant could be good, but there's already a few of those just here on Maryland Parkway.

4 comments:

Camila said...

ralph! starbucks are closing lots of stores, do you think they will close this one? Or maybe they will close the one in the student union.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you we are opening that mexican restaurant by your store. My mom is going to be the head chef. :D

Ralph Mathieu said...

Camila, I was told by a customer of mine that works at the Starbucks by the university that the one by my store is one of only two new ones they're building in the state and they'll almost certainly close the one by Einstein Bagels when this one opens (and that may depend on when their present lease there is up).

Having totally enjoyed your mother's cooking, I'm really excited about her opening that restaurant! I think she should call it Mama Alvarez's Mexican Eatery and Cantina! From what I know about the restaurant business, it's a very hard, competitve business that has huge start up costs (I know you weren't really serious) and can take a while for profits to start happening.

kreeson1 said...

Happy Fourth, Ralph!

Ancient Flounder said...

That is quite weird that that Yoshinoya location is closed, too. There is one near my work at the corner of Stewart and Nellis and that one has been closed for almost two months.

Interesting, indeed...