Friday, May 2, 2008

drinkdrawdrinkdraw

Last night was the second Vegas Drink & Draw and I thought that the turnout would be really light because of Iron Man opening yesterday. Well it wasn't as hopping as last month, but to my delight, there was more than enough people who showed up that made the evening another fun gathering!

Pictured here is Raul (a good customer of mine and a good guy all around) with a cool drawing he did of Hulk throttling Iron Man (as a lot of people reading Iron Man comics lately know, he's had it coming)! I'm glad I got to have a long chat with Raul.
This is Joe, another great local artist, with a marvelous illo he did of Death. Joe has a great short story in last year's Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened, which was nominated in this year's Eisner awards for best anthology.
Yet another great local artist, Tillman, who works as a caricaturist at the Stratosphere, with a great drawing he did of this couple atop these flying surfboards. Tillman told me that years ago he read a Judge Dredd story that had flying surfboards in it and since then a lot of his drawings have flying surfboards in them. I also had a nice chat with Tillman last night and as he's a fairly new transplant to Vegas, I hope this city continues to treat him well, especially as he's getting married in six months (his fiancee is also a caricaturist)!

So I'm happy to report that Drink & Draw Vegas looks like it'll be around for a while and that even the opening of a big blockbuster comic movie doesn't keep all of the artistic sorts from showing up. Drink & Draw Vegas, starting next week will be happening weekly on Thursdays (7pm - until whenever) at Mickee Finzz so maybe people that aren't able to make the first Thursday of the month gathering will be able to go to one of the other Thursday meet-ups. I probably won't make it to the weekly meets, but I'll definitely be popping over there on the first Thursday of every month!

No comments: