Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Minutemen & Black Freighter

Today this photo was released (from the upcoming Watchmen movie)showing the super hero team The Minutemen, which were an earlier assemblage of heroes from Moore and Gibbon's Watchmen graphic novel (which was a twelve issue comic maxi-series origninally).

I like what I'm seeing from this image, which I think captures more of what Moore and Gibbon's were doing with their look then what I've seen of the main Watchmen characters costumes from the movie (they look like Batman Forever costumes, but hopefully they'll look good in the context of the movie).

In other Watchmen movie news, it was announced that The Black Freighter pirate sequence from Watchmen will be released as a separate animated DVD, four days after the Watchmen movie opens. I like the idea of the pirate sequence (which in the graphic novel is a comic that a kid is reading) being animated and released separately (mostly because even with this sequence not being in the movie, there's still a lot of story to be told in a two or so hour running time), but as others have said online, I'd like to see it released a few days before the movie or on the same day as the movie debuts.

Speaking of Watchmen, a couple of months ago, I had an older gentleman (about 55 years old) come into my store from Vancouver, Canada (where they did a lot of filming of the Watchmen movie) who was an extra on the film and he said that he was very impressed with the way things looked. Afterwards he went and bought Watchmen and has since been on going on an Alan Moore reading binge. His name is Larry Jacobs (the extras probably won't be listed in the credits though) and I'm sad that I didn't think to take a photo of him.

Everyone's got March 2009 marked on their calendars, right?

No comments: