Tuesday, May 6, 2008

FCBD 2008!

Free Comic Book Day 2008 this past Saturday was another smashing success!

On the left is Kate, my wife, dressed as a Grendle, and our friend Christie, on the right dressed in a fantastic Star Trek costume. They helped me with the crowds and helped create a very fun atmosphere. Even though Christie was in red, she didn't die that day fortunately (you all remember what happens to red shirts on Star Trek, right?)!
This year my customer count was up from last year (I don't have concrete numbers as I only have a record of the sales transactions for the day, not the people that just came in for the free comics). People were coming into the store almost until I closed, whereas in previous years the activity started getting quiet around 3:30-4:00.
I thought I'd ordered enough free comics so that I'd have some left for other events throughout the year, but that didn't turn out to be the case as I have very little left. No one went away empty handed though, but it was also a good thing that I supplement the FCBD comics with old inventory.
The guy over on the right is David, a local school teacher, and three of his lovely daughters. He's definitely bringing them up right by making sure they get a good diet of great comics!

I actually took more pictures, but several of them came out kind of blurry because I was just in extra hyperactive mode with all that was going on (so couldn't hold the camera very still) - next year I'll have someone else take photos. The number one topic besides people getting big eyes for all the free comics, was of course the Iron Man movie (which Kate and I didn't see until Sunday morning). No one had anything negative to say about the movie. All in all, I'd say that this years FCBD is the great jump start this medium needs this summer that should carry on into the fall!

1 comment:

Camila said...

damn, I missed it, sorry :(