Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Iron Man the movie

No Spoilers folowing:

Kate and I saw the Iron Man movie Sunday morning and really enjoyed it. All the changes they made from the comic and the character's origin were great changes that made sense and weren't just changes for the sake of changes (or director's and writer's egos) as is common with movie adaptations of comic books. The movie was really smartly done and while I think it plays more to male wish fullfillment fantasies, I think it has a good cross audience appeal (although I wouldn't take kids under ten or eleven to see it). If you haven't already heard, stay until after the credits, there's a good little bonus scene. The Iron Man armor and effects are really good, but the movie actually has a story that doesn't seem to just exist to get to the special effect sequences. My only little complaint would be that the villains, including Jeff Bridges' character, could have been fleshed out a bit more, but they weren't so bad that they impaired my surprise with how good the Iron Man movie is (and I don't like the Iron Man movie poster, it's really kind of boring and way too airbrushed - which had me worried at first the movie would duplicate - what a nit picker I am!).

Tomorrow a new Iron Man mini series comes out called Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas (cover and one page of interior art shown here), written by Jon Favreau (who directed the Iron Man movie) and illustrated by Adi Granov (who did an Iron Man storyline with Warren Ellis called Extremis). I didn't get a preview copy of this, but I think that this will be the Iron Man comic that people who liked the movie will be looking for.

1 comment:

Camila said...

everyone wants to see that movie

I have never even hear of it

that is good you liked it, from a comic book reader point of view :D