Sunday, November 9, 2008

FreakAngels: Ellis & Duffield

This week the first trade of FreakAngels written by Warren Ellis and drawn by Paul Duffield (with a coloring assist by Alana Yuen) arrived at your favorite comic store (which I hope is mine, but if it's not, please let me know why it isn't). FreakAngels debuted as a weekly six page online comic in the early part of this year and continues to run weekly at www.freakangels.com. I'm going to defer to Warren Ellis in his description of what Freakangles is: "It's retro-punk, it's near future steampunk and builds on the legacy of disaster fiction." I haven't been reading Freakangels online because I don't like reading comics on the computer, but I did take a peek at it a few months ago and have been eagerly awaiting its hardcopy (trade paperback) release ever since.
Freakangels is just amazing and for me it ranks amongst the best work Ellis has ever done. One has just to look at the art by Paul Duffield (where did he come from all of a sudden!?) and you'll be hooked. Duffield's art has kind of a Josh Middleton (Superman / Shazam) crossed with Ghost In The Shell (from the anime) quality that has very lush varied character designs as well as backgrounds that very much give the world of FreakAngels a context that the reader can feel. FreakAngels is only $19.99 for 144 pages (sure you could read this online, but you'll want it read and look at it repeatedly).

1 comment:

Pj Perez said...

Maybe I need to pick up the trade. I've tried getting into it online but it's kind of hard to follow in that format. Hmm ...